Some movie characters have very strict physical characteristics.
And so that an actress can perfectly fit the role she has taken on, it’s important to fully immerse herself in the character. So much that sometimes she even has to give up herself in order to become her heroine. Some very famous actresses manage to do this at the cost of some great sacrifices. They change their appearance either by gaining or losing weight, cutting or dyeing their hair, agreeing to play roles without make-up or with an exaggerated tired look, etc.
Here are 15 actresses with international talent who have shown great courage by playing the role of a completely different woman in a movie. The least we can say is that it worked out for them, because the movies they played in have all been immensely successful.
1. Hilary Swank for her role as Maggie Fitzgerald in Million Dollar Baby
2. Mayim Bialik for the role of Amy Farrah-Fowler on “The Big Bang Theory”
3. Gwendoline Christie, who is Brienne of Tarth on the hit series “Game of Thrones”
4. Anne Hathaway, who plays Fantine in Les Misérables
5. Penelope Cruz, who played Italia in Don’t Move
6. Mia Wasikowska, who plays Jane Eyre in the movie of the same name
7. Vanessa Hudgens, who is Agnes Bailey in Gimme Shelter
8. Margot Robbie, who plays Harley Quinn marvelously well in Suicide Squad
9. Renée Zellweger, who plays the popular Bridget Jones in the movie series with the same name
10. Cynthia Nixon, who plays Vivian Bearing in the one-act play, Wit
11. Helena Bonham Carter, who plays a witch in Big Fish
12. America Ferrera, who played Betty Suarez on “Ugly Betty”
13. Kate Winslet, who plays Hanna Schmitz in The Reader
14. Eden Sher, who is Sue Heck on “The Middle”
15. Natalie Portman, who played Evey Hammond in V for Vendetta